Ultimate Platform for Organisations to Communicate & Collaborate
Intranet portals are a very important extension to your organisation as it helps with a 360 deg communication between the leadership and its employees
Intranet Portal is known by many names, employee intranet, staff intranet, company portal, or corporate portal. Post-COVID, Intranet portal has a completely new meaning and has become a very important platform used by companies across all industries and sectors.
This article will give you an idea of how to properly plan and implement an Intranet Portal in your organisation because I will explore the following key aspects of the Intranet portal.
Commonly asked questions about Intranet Portal
An explanation of why an Intranet Portal is needed in an organisation
Table of Contents
First let’s start with the most important question.
Is an Intranet Portal needed in your organisation?
Any organisation comprises 6 key components that need to be communicated throughout the organisation. These components need to work in an organised way to ensure that the company works like a well-oiled machine.
Bringing People Together
Increase collaboration, improve communication and make information easy to find and share.
What is an Intranet Portal, & Why it matters in your organization?
According to Wikipedia An internet portal is a gateway that unifies access to enterprise information.
It’s a framework for integrating information, people and processes across an organisation
What is the purpose of Intranet Portal in your organisation? Intranet Portal as an internal communication platform, that should be used for corporate communication, employee collaboration and employee engagement.
A properly implemented Intranet Portal helps every level of organisation. Leadership can communicate its vision and strategy to employees. And employees can access the data that helps them execute the vision and strategy of the organisation.
Please read the articles below for more specific information.
The History of Intranet Portal
In a June 30, 1975 article in Bloomberg Businessweek, a vision of the future office was revealed. Firstly, Everyone then started to wonder if desktop terminals could be made friendly enough for the employees to use them? Second, they wondered if all the information would be stored digitally in the future
It was speculated that in the next 20 years an office desk would comprise of only a television monitor. Since then big corporations have been trying to find ways to make information easily accessible to its employees.
With innovations in remote connectivity, computer hardware and software, intranets started to come up in different ways.
The first intranet software was simply static HTML pages. Employees could summon upon the information using just a web browser.
In February 1996 Frontier Technologies Corp USA released the first ready to use Intranet Portal and called it Intranet Genie.
Intranet Genie was designed to act as a single source for finding information inside and outside of companies.
Intranet Genie had a problem. It was not serving information from a browser. It was a client-server application. Because of which there were dependencies on the need for Intranet Genie client to be present to access information.
The Beginning of Intranet Portal
By that time the www or the world wide web was also evolving and the popularity of www triggered a huge change in the way corporations wanted their intranet to work. They wanted intranet to work as a web portal.
This simplified the use of an Intranet. You just needed a web browser to access the company information.
Onset of the millennium saw numerous software helping corporations to share information with their employees using just a browser.
Terms to Know
Few terms we think you should know in the context of an Intranet Portal
It’s another name for Intranet Portal. But usually used in the context of very huge enterprises. In large organisations, a de-centralised content contribution and content management are needed. This ensures that the information is always up to date.
Enterprise portals also need to cater to stakeholders beyond the boundaries of the organisation like Customers, Vendors, Partners etc.
A web portal’s purpose is to bring information from different sources like emails, discussion forum etc together. Because information is shown to you in a categorized method with a dedicated area on a web page.
A web portal is a term used not just to describe a company’s Intranet Portal. Because information is organised, and therefore information is easily found.
How an Intranet Portal Benefits Organisations
Addressing Business Needs with Intranet Portal Software
- A common internal platform that enables effective communication and collaboration between the employees in the company across locations.
- Manage HR and employee-related requirements effectively, be it training requirements and schedules, new employee onboarding, loans, leaves, appraisal processes, salary certificate, or internal job applications.
- Provide sections for managing each kind of activity, e.g., HR activities, employee engagement events, corporate messages, etc., separately.
- Notify employees on any updates in the portal ensuring that all remain connected and information passed on is known to all.
- Provide a collaboration platform that can be utilized as a driver for enhancing company productivity and efficiency.
Some Must-have Features in an Intranet Portal
The Pros and Cons of Setting up an Intranet Portal
Your organisation might already have an intranet portal. When effectively implemented an intranet portal has the potential to improve organisational productivity and clarity of vision.
When wrongly done it might not be that beneficial. So as you go through your journey of implementing an Intranet Portal here are some of the key facts that you should know to make the right decisions.
Intranet Portal Pros
- Information sharing is a breeze with a good intranet portal setup. Your organisation can easily share announcements to communicate a strategic vision to its employees. Keep employees abreast with what’s happening in the organisation, share policies and inform employees if there is a change in any policy. Any information that your organisation wants to pass to the employees becomes a breeze.
- Productivity enhancement of your employees. Starting from assigning simple tasks to employees, to setting up a workflow for example initiating a purchase order can all be automated. This not only makes it faster for you and your colleagues but also helps new employees to understand the procedure better.
- Helps your organisation employees to collaborate efficiently. A well set up intranet portal provides separate areas for each department. This helps employees to collaborate within their department. You can easily breakdown barriers by providing good Intra department communication.
- You can make organisational knowledge accessible to its employees but using collaboration tools like chat and FAQ. A properly maintained knowledge management system in an organisation ensures employees get information when they need it. Incorporate knowledge management systems into a Chat to make it more convenient.
- Standardised document repositories ensure that everybody uses the right version of the document, be it marketing collateral or a project management template. This saves a lot of time for you and your colleagues to find the latest most relevant documents or templates for your tasks. Reduces individual clutter for the employees.
- Social platform within the organisation and better bonding between colleagues. Employees can portray their personalities, likes, dislikes, which helps to build a better work environment.
- With all the vital information available easily a good Intranet Portal helps you and your colleagues to make effective decisions fast. Also sharing ideas and information accelerates the decision-making process for both the management and employees.
- Improve Business Process Automation by using workflows, using the intelligent search or using digital forms. This greatly reduces the use of paper-based information, reduces paperwork error and increases efficiency.
Intranet Portal Cons
- An Intranet portal to be effective it needs constant attention and a team of enthusiastic people to govern the whole portal. Your management buy-in is very important for the success of the intranet portal. You will need motivated resources & necessary labour to make an intranet portal a success.
- Content can and will become stale if proper maintenance of the intranet portal is not done by purging or updating old content with the new one, efficiencies will go down and with the time you will see organisational efficiencies reducing.
- By increasing efficiency, you are actually saving a lot of time for all the employees in the organisation. On the flip side, to ensure that things remain efficient, resources should be trained on how to use the system, new features added to the intranet make your processes lean and more efficient.
- Proper governance rules and policies are necessary for an intranet portal to thrive. You can consider an Intranet Portal to a Country, just imagine what a country would become without proper governance and rules?
Why do we recommend SharePoint and Microsoft 365 for an Intranet Portal?
SharePoint & M365 has all the tools that will be needed by your organisation to build an Intranet Portal. It is a very popular technology hence easy to find experts.
More than 200,000 organizations and 190 million people use SharePoint for intranets, team sites and content management
SharePoint is a browser-based collaboration and document management platform from Microsoft. This allows your organisation employees to access it from any computer and any location. Its content management feature allows organizations or users to securely store, share and collaborate within each other.
SharePoint is an enterprise information portal from Microsoft that can be configured to run Intranet, Extranet and Internet sites for your organization. SharePoint helps your organisation users to share documents, data, and information. Inbuilt document management, collaboration features in SharePoint increase the productivity of an organization.
SharePoint is scalable, extensible, and can be customised as per your organisation’s needs. And this helps you better store, share, and manage digital information within your organization. In no time you can create team sites to collaborate.
Key Features of SharePoint
Using SharePoint for Intranet Software
Microsoft SharePoint is a world-class enterprise portal platform that can be configured to run enterprise intranet portals. The main reason for building a corporate intranet portal on Microsoft SharePoint is due to the wide range of leading productivity tools available to employees in a cohesive digital workplace.
Neologix is a leading SharePoint Consulting and Intranet Portal Development company that develops next-generation & best intranet portal software for better employee connection and internal communications.
Best Practices to Implement a Good Intranet Portal
Create good information architecture. Which means the content should be easy to discover, should have a good navigation system & should be visually appealing to its users.
Before deciding for an Intranet Portal ensure you discuss with the stakeholders what’s the purpose of Intranet Portal you are going to create and what are the key goals that you would like to achieve with the portal
While considering the Intranet portal see which are the key areas of the organization that you want to consider in the initial release of the portal. An organisation as 6 main components out of these 6 components, decide which ones would have the most priority.
Ensure that you plan your navigation around the intranet very well so that its easily understandable by every employee of the organisation.
Plan which content needs to be on the Intranet and who needs to access it. And ensure a good plan is made to store content so that its easily accessible and discoverable by employees
Keep employees engaged by running surveys on matters of interest of the employees. Allow employees to collaborate on the Intranet.
Develop a good Intranet policy guidelines which should be followed in all the department sites. Prepare a good Information Storage guideline which will have to be followed by all the users in the system. This will help automating many of the guidelines when setting up the Intranet Portal
Make Training plans for existing employees and new employees on how to use the Intranet Portal
Make good metrics to measure the success of the Intranet. These metrics will help your organisation improve engagement of employees
Even an Intranet needs promotion. A good promotion plan should be created so that the Intranet Portal is marketed to your organisation employees.
Improve the reach of your intranet by making them available to mobile devices. Features like Instant messaging, news feed etc makes it easy for your organisation employees to connect with peers.
Build KPIs which can measure the success of broader organisational objectives.
Need help in deciding the set of intranet capabilities to improve collaboration and communication in your company? Contact us to know more about our intranet portal development services.
Featured Case Study
ACWA Power Intelligent Reporting Tool with SharePoint
OVERVIEW As companies around the world struggle with the manual effort required to keep track of numerous reports generated monthly and quarterly and often failed to identify risks in advance. ACWA Power is one of the companies operating in UAE & Saudi Arabia and closely with multiple vendors. Currently, the finance team at every organization … Continue reading ACWA Power Intelligent Reporting Tool with SharePoint